Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation

mzraly@world.std.com (Michael S. Zraly)
3 Feb 1998 23:31:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (1998-01-21)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-23)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation ast@halcyon.com (1998-01-24)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-30)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mike.hobbs@ccmail.fingerhut.com (Michael Hobbs) (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mzraly@world.std.com (1998-02-03)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com (1998-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mzraly@world.std.com (Michael S. Zraly)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 1998 23:31:20 -0500

Michael Hobbs <mike.hobbs@ccmail.fingerhut.com> wrote:
>There's a book by Michael Abrash titled something like "The Zen of
>Code Optimization". It's targeted to assembly programmers and not code
>generators. Although much of the book talks about altering algorithms
>and code sequences (such as loop unrolling, etc.), it does include a
>good amount of information about Intel instruction optimization
>techniques.
>[That's the title, but it's out of print. -John]

Out of print, but available...

Check out _Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book_ -- according
to the description at Softpro Books (http://www.softpro.com):

    No one has done more to conquer the performance limitations of the PC
    than Michael Abrash, and in this massive new volume, virtually everything
    he has ever written about performance coding and real-time graphics has
    been gathered in one work, including the books _Zen of Assembly Language_,
    _Zen of Code Optimization_, and _Zen of Graphics Programming_.

    1-57610-174-6 08/97 softcover 1340 pages $59.99

I don't have a copy of the book, so I can't comment on it personally.
Caveat emptor and all that.
--
Mike Zraly
mzraly@world.std.com