wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation

"Chris Dollin" <kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com>
21 Jan 1998 00:02:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (1998-01-21)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-23)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation ast@halcyon.com (1998-01-24)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-30)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mike.hobbs@ccmail.fingerhut.com (Michael Hobbs) (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-02-01)

From: "Chris Dollin" <kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jan 1998 00:02:51 -0500

We're considering writing a code generator targetting the 80[45]86 machines.

Can anyone suggest good reference material for the instruction set and
architecture (I'd go for the Intel one unless otherwise advised), and
are there any books/papers with helpful advice, war stories, and
gotchas?

I've been to our local bookshops. The line eater seems to have escaped
and attended to the hordes of assembler books I used to ignore in
their computing sections; I'm loath to order a book from Amazon
without being able to hold in my hot sticky hands and evaluate the
contents. Horrors, I'm becoming old-fashioned ....
--
[The Intel manuals are pretty good, and you can't beat the price --
they're free! The Pentium II manuals are on-line as PDF files at