Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation

bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Ben Sloman)
7 Feb 1998 13:59:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation ast@halcyon.com (1998-01-24)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-30)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mike.hobbs@ccmail.fingerhut.com (Michael Hobbs) (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mzraly@world.std.com (1998-02-03)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com (1998-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Ben Sloman)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Feb 1998 13:59:03 -0500

Besides the Intel manuals, you might want to try perusing the source
to an existing x86 code generator.

TenDRA is a free, public domain C/C++ compiler and checker
technology based around the TDF/ANDF intermediate format. The
system includes C and C++ front ends, and code generators for
several architectures including x86. It seems that the
source is available under a very free licence (much freer than GPL).

The TDF representation is documented extensively, and I've found the
C source for the code generators easy to read and to modify.

The URL, if you want to check it out, is http://alph.dra.hmg.gb/TenDRA/ .

Ben

PS. Those of you who followed the OSF ANDF(*) story might be interested to
see what has happened to the underlying technology, and even to poke around
its innards.

(*) ANDF = Architecture Neutral Distribution Format

Chris Dollin (kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com) wrote:
: We're considering writing a code generator targetting the 80[45]86 machines.

: Can anyone suggest good reference material for the instruction set and
: architecture (I'd go for the Intel one unless otherwise advised), and
: are there any books/papers with helpful advice, war stories, and
: gotchas?
--
Ben Sloman email: bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com
phone: +44(0)117 9228946 Hewlett Packard Laboratories