Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms

Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sun, 03 May 2009 05:49:46 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-04-13)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-04-14)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-04-16)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-05-03)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms dj3vande@eskimo.com (2009-05-04)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2009-05-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 05:49:46 +0100
Posted-Date: 03 May 2009 20:21:51 EDT

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:49:39 +0100, Stephen Horne
<sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm interested in digraph layout algorithms for presentation of
>digraphs in 2D - the kind of things that GraphViz (and particularly
>Dot) do.

Someone should have said RTFM.

The Dot manual refers readers to...

    Emden R. Gansner, Eleftherios Koutsofios, Stephen C. North, and
    Kiem-Phong Vo. A Technique for Drawing Directed Graphs. IEEE
    Trans. Sofware Eng., 19(3):214230, May 1993.

which is available as a PDF from CiteSeerX.

BTW - am I correct in believing that a graph that can be coloured
using four or fewer colours can always be drawn (in 2D) with no arcs
crossing?

I'm very confident that a graph that can be drawn in 2D with no arcs
crossing can always be coloured with four or fewer colours, but not so
confident of the reverse.