Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms

Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:49:39 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-04-13)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-04-14)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-04-16)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-05-03)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms dj3vande@eskimo.com (2009-05-04)
Re: Slightly off-topic - digraph layout algorithms bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2009-05-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:49:39 +0100
Posted-Date: 13 Apr 2009 17:55:08 EDT

I'm interested in digraph layout algorithms for presentation of
digraphs in 2D - the kind of things that GraphViz (and particularly
Dot) do. Can anyone point me to some free downloadable papers that
explain in relatively human-friendly language how to do efficient
automatic layout?

I *have* found some papers myself, but every one I try to read ends up
either giving me a headache, or telling me to do what sounds like a
standard optimisation technique without explaining the details of what
that means (I'm not that familiar with optimisation algorithms beyond
simplex and the basics of genetic algorithms), so the emphasis here is
very much on readability and minimal assumptions about reader
knowledge.