Re: Online compiler courses?

kamal <kamalpr@gmail.com>
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:24:11 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Online compiler courses? inderaj@gmail.com (Inderaj Bains) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? bcb@undisclosedlocation.net (Bruce C. Baker) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-09-01)
Re: Online compiler courses? haberg_20080406@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2009-09-02)
Re: Online compiler courses? herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-09-02)
Re: Online compiler courses? kamalpr@gmail.com (kamal) (2009-09-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kamal <kamalpr@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 09 Sep 2009 11:15:14 EDT

On Sep 1, 12:27 am, Paul Biggar <paul.big...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Steve H<jkj2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Get a book.
>
> > I've also been going through books at the library, trying to find a
> > good compiler text. B It's frustrating. B The dragon book is considered
> > the canonical work, but it's quite meaty and difficult for self
> > study. B I believe that's the general consensus.

I read that book end-to-end but an earlier edition than the current
one. Its mostly a book that lays out the principles and algorithms -
which are easy to specify for the front-end (as in DFA/LL1/LR1/LALR1)
but difficult to state for the backend. It doesn;t state the
implementation -but only states the principle which can be used in an
implementation.

> I really don't understand why the Dragon Book is considered canonical
> for anything but parsing. Perhaps it's simply the incumbent. Anyhow,

It does explain some other things like I/M code optimization, 3
address form etc.. When I attended a post-grade course on compilers
(which essentially focuses on the back-end), the reading material was
mostly research papers. That is evidence that this book is indeed the
incumbent and we are left without a better choise:-).

  Maybe the OP should read up GCC's online documentation and go through
its sources. That will give practical information for free.

regards
-kamal