Re: Online compiler courses?

Louis Krupp <lkrupp@indra.com>
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:12:40 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-29)
Re: Online compiler courses? sleepdev@gmail.com (andy johnson) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? lkrupp@indra.com (Louis Krupp) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? inderaj@gmail.com (Inderaj Bains) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)

From: Louis Krupp <lkrupp@indra.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:12:40 -0600
Posted-Date: 30 Aug 2009 18:49:04 EDT

Steve H wrote:
> I'm a CS major whose school unfortunately doesn't offer a dedicated
> compiler course. I have taken a course in theory of computing and
> know about DFAs, CFGs and all the requisite background material.
>
> I've been searching for a university course that has most of the
> material online, including lectures and assignments. So far I haven't
> found one that's ideal. ...

If you've been at this long enough to know all about DFAs, CFGs and so
on, then you're ready to do what people who wanted to learn something
did before they even had the option of going online: Get a book. Or
two. I'm sure people here can recommend some recent ones. (If you
want relics, let me know. I've got a few. They don't all show you
how to solve the problem in C, either, since some of them were written
before C was invented.)

Louis
[I agree. If you know the theory, you already know the more obscure
half of what a compiler course would normally teach. -John]