Re: Online compiler courses?

Steve H <>
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Online compiler courses? (Steve H) (2009-08-29)
Re: Online compiler courses? (andy johnson) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Louis Krupp) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Steve H) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? (Inderaj Bains) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Bruce C. Baker) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Stephen Horne) (2009-09-01)
[4 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steve H <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 31 Aug 2009 15:05:11 EDT

> If you've been at this long enough to know all about DFAs, CFGs and so
> on, then you're ready to do what people who wanted to learn something
> did before they even had the option of going online: Get a book.

Hi Louis,

I've also been going through books at the library, trying to find a
good compiler text. It's frustrating. The dragon book is considered
the canonical work, but it's quite meaty and difficult for self
study. I believe that's the general consensus.

As to other texts, I'm looking at Andrew Appel's book, and it's ok,
but I think this kind of course is best suited for classroom sessions
instead of self study, with lots of assignments to help the pedagogy.
Just my opinion of course but writing a compiler I think takes a lot
of hands on work, like engine building-- something that's best done by
doing instead of reading through a Chilton or Haynes manual.

It also doesn't help that a number of compiler texts are over ten
years old and focus on C development instead of java. Again, I have
nothing but respect for the C programming language but I'm more
experienced with Java and would prefer to use that if at all possible.