Online compiler courses?

Steve H <jkj2000@gmail.com>
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-29)
Re: Online compiler courses? sleepdev@gmail.com (andy johnson) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? lkrupp@indra.com (Louis Krupp) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)

From: Steve H <jkj2000@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:03:57 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 30 Aug 2009 14:31:14 EDT

Hi everyone,

I'm a CS major whose school unfortunately doesn't offer a dedicated
compiler course. I have taken a course in theory of computing and
know about DFAs, CFGs and all the requisite background material.

I've been searching for a university course that has most of the
material online, including lectures and assignments. So far I haven't
found one that's ideal.

I've looked at MIT's OCW, Stanford's compiler class, and those offered
at a few other universities. They're all pretty good but none of them
quite fits the bill. They each have lecture notes online, but some of
them are powerpoint overviews, which are difficult to get the real
gist from in a technical field like this, if you know what I mean.

My ideal would be a class that has lecture videos online, pdf course
notes (or powerpoint slides that go into more depth than is typical)
and has lab assignments in Java (using JCup and JLex, perhaps?)
Nothing at all against C, it's just that I use Java and C# almost
exclusively these days.

As to the labs and projects, the true ideal would be a setup where I
could download all the needed files and programs to my laptop and run
them locally; a number of the classes I've looked at require the
students to login to server X at the respective university, where the
needed build environment and software has been already installed.

I don't know if a class that matches this bill of particulars exists,
but if you know of one, or something that's close and does a good job
explaining the subject, I'd be grateful for the information. Thanks
very much.