Re: Online compiler courses?

"Bruce C. Baker" <>
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:06:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[3 earlier articles]
Re: Online compiler courses? (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Steve H) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? (Inderaj Bains) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Bruce C. Baker) (2009-08-31)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Stephen Horne) (2009-09-01)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Hans Aberg) (2009-09-02)
Re: Online compiler courses? (Philip Herron) (2009-09-02)
Re: Online compiler courses? (kamal) (2009-09-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Bruce C. Baker" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:06:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Sep 2009 23:37:58 EDT

"Steve H" <> wrote in message
>> If you've been at this long enough to know all about DFAs, CFGs and so
>> on, then you're ready to do what people who wanted to learn something
>> did before they even had the option of going online: Get a book.
> Hi Louis,
> I've also been going through books at the library, trying to find a
> good compiler text. It's frustrating. The dragon book is considered
> the canonical work, but it's quite meaty and difficult for self
> study. I believe that's the general consensus.

> As to other texts, I'm looking at Andrew Appel's book, and it's ok,
> but I think this kind of course is best suited for classroom
> sessions instead of self study, with lots of assignments to help the
> pedagogy. Just my opinion of course but writing a compiler I think
> takes a lot of hands on work, like engine building-- something
> that's best done by doing instead of reading through a Chilton or
> Haynes manual.

> It also doesn't help that a number of compiler texts are over ten
> years old and focus on C development instead of java. Again, I have
> nothing but respect for the C programming language but I'm more
> experienced with Java and would prefer to use that if at all
> possible.

The most useful compiler book I've encountered is the original 1993
edition of David A Watt's "Programming Language Processors: Compilers
and Interpreters", ISBN 013720129X. It's almost 20 years old and uses
an ancient Pascal compiler as its implementation language, but it does
a great job of explaining the nuts and bolts of a working processor.

If you absolutely, positively MUST program in Java, there's a more
recent edition (which I haven't seen), ISBN 0130257869.

Both books are available from Amazon.