Re: Newbie : source to source translation

"J.Lampe" <lampe@math.tu-dresden.de>
2 Apr 1997 15:57:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie : source to source translation jagstaid@iprolink.ch (Patrick Jagstaidt) (1997-03-27)
Re: Newbie : source to source translation lampe@math.tu-dresden.de (J.Lampe) (1997-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "J.Lampe" <lampe@math.tu-dresden.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Apr 1997 15:57:14 -0500

Hi Patrick,

> I'm involved in the rewrite of the company's legacy code from Modula-2
> to Java... [ and I'm looking for tools and advice ]

You should have a look at Depot4, which is a non-sophisticated
translator generator, designed especially for those who are not so
educated in compiler design. But be aware, such a tool may aid in
converting statement sequences and part of declarations only. The
different base paradigms of Modula-2 and Java demand some kind of
redesign (e.g. procedures -> methods of which object) and this needs a
certain degree of >>understanding<< which can't be peformed by any
mechanical translator.

Good luck
Jurgen

http://www.math.tu-dresden.de/wir/staff/lampe/Depot4.html