Newbie : source to source translation

Patrick Jagstaidt <jagstaid@iprolink.ch>
27 Mar 1997 13:31:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie : source to source translation jagstaid@iprolink.ch (Patrick Jagstaidt) (1997-03-27)
Re: Newbie : source to source translation lampe@math.tu-dresden.de (J.Lampe) (1997-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Patrick Jagstaidt <jagstaid@iprolink.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 1997 13:31:19 -0500

Hi,

I'm involved in the rewrite of the company's legacy code from Modula-2
to Java...

Since there is much to translate I think it's better to embark on a
metaprogramming project and try to devise means of automate inasmuch as
possible the code migration, howewer I'm new to compiler technology.

I would like to know what would be the main stages one should obey to
produce a source to source translator from Modula-2 to Java.

I just downloaded PCCTS2.0a and JCC, are those tools a good start for
such an enterprise ?

Cheers,
P. Jagstaidt
[Source to source translation is a black art. Generating correct
translated code isn't all that hard, but making the translated code
legible and maintainable is quite difficult. -John]