Re: books [was Re: Small C Compiler]

tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (Tommy Thorn)
Tue, 18 May 1993 15:24:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Small C Compiler elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (1993-05-04)
Re: Small C Compiler preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-05-17)
Re: books [was Re: Small C Compiler] tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (1993-05-18)
Book on optimization? dimock@das.harvard.edu (1993-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (Tommy Thorn)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 15:24:37 GMT

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
>While Holub's book covers front-end issues (the easy part of a compiler)
>in great detail, it's still very incomplete. Its coverage of optimization
>and back-end issues (the interesting parts of a compiler) is inadequate.

Exactly my feeling, but it goes for almost all of the compiler books I've
read, with the notable exception of ....

>The dragon book is still the only book that makes a good hack at these
>issues.

My latest experience tells me that the chapter on code gen./optimization
(huge, though) is all but outdated. I had dig up articles to get to the
latest research. I *really* recommend doing this, maybe even for a under-
graduate course. Much of the stuff is easily accessible.

(We made an optimizing compiler using Carl McConnels CORTL on SSA form,
and register allocation a.la Preston Brigss (more or less) in a
undergraduate course (~16000 lines of C). SSA and register alloc. can be
very hairy though.)
--
Tommy.Thorn@daimi.aau.dk