Re: Small C Compiler

elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (Elan Feingold)
Tue, 4 May 1993 16:44:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Small C Compiler cmcl2!acfcluster.nyu.edu!chrisopj@uunet.UU.NET (1993-05-03)
Re: Small C Compiler elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (1993-05-04)
Re: Small C Compiler tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (1993-05-05)
Re: Small C Compiler leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1993-05-06)
Re: Small C Compiler carlpe@microsoft.com (1993-05-08)
Re: Small C Compiler preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-05-17)
Re: books [was Re: Small C Compiler] tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (1993-05-18)
Book on optimization? dimock@das.harvard.edu (1993-05-19)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (Elan Feingold)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 16:44:06 GMT

>(I'm also going to snag either the dragon book or the "Crafting a Compiler
>in C" to run along beside it...)

Unless you're heavily into theory, I would skip the dragon book and pick
up Alan Holub's most excellent "Compiler Design in C." He goes through
the design of lex and yacc clones in great detail (all source code
included) and then builds a C compiler with them. The release I had
contained lots of typos and other small errors -- I found about 15 in the
first 150 pages! But all in all it's an excellent book -- IMHO. I got
the "Crafting a Compiler" book and then returned it in favor of Holub's.
Another nice thing about it is that he does go into theory, besides having
all the source code there too.

ESF
--
| Elan Feingold
| CS/EE Depts.
| Cornell University
| Ithaca NY 14850
[An errata sheet to Holub's book is in message 90-06-081. Holub told me
that most of the errors were fixed by the fifth printing (look at the row
of numbers on the copyright page -- the smallest number in the row is the
printing.) Personally, I find the better theoretical coverage in the Dragon
book useful to see the motivation for yacc, R.D. parsers, etc. -John]