Re: XPL Analyzer

Shoefoot <>
Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:56:44 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XPL Analyzer (Shoefoot) (2017-06-05)
Re: XPL Analyzer (Robin Vowels) (2017-06-05)
Re: XPL Analyzer (George Neuner) (2017-06-05)
Re: XPL Analyzer (Shoefoot) (2017-06-07)
Re: XPL Analyzer (mac) (2017-06-08)
Re: XPL Analyzer (SLK Parser Generator) (2017-06-09)
Re: XPL Analyzer (George Neuner) (2017-06-09)
Re: XPL Analyzer (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2017-06-13)
Re: XPL Analyzer (Ben Hanson) (2017-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Shoefoot <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:56:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 6:37:20 PM UTC-4, George Neuner wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your question: do you have existing tables
> that you'd like to plug in to a parser tool, or are you looking for
> the (E)BNF source needed to generate tables?
> There are some parser tools, e.g., Gold (, that
> separate the tables and actions from the "engine" that executes them,
> and that can demand load new table/action sets.
> However, I'm not aware of any tool that can directly use pre-existing
> "foreign" tables ... every tool I know of has to have generated the
> tables itself.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "used LALR parse tables". I should have
said "generated LALR parse tables". The XPL grammar analyzer
generates something the author called MSP tables. I was thinking it
would be more useful if it generated LALR tables. Since I am in the
process of writing an XPL compiler I thought I could modernize the
grammar analyzer with something that would make the package more

I have no interest in converting tables from some other tool.

I was unaware of Thanks for the reference. Currently
the goldparser project is not releasing the source of the grammar
analyzer so it does not help me find a solution.