Re: Definition of basic blocks

SM Ryan <wyrmwif@tsoft.org>
12 Nov 2005 16:11:17 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Definition of basic blocks plfriko@yahoo.de (Christian Christmann) (2005-11-08)
Re: Definition of basic blocks wyrmwif@tsoft.org (SM Ryan) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks tjs_ng@yahoo.de (Thomas Schilling) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks pohjalai@cc.helsinki.fi (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2005-11-27)
Re: Definition of basic blocks DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-11-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: SM Ryan <wyrmwif@tsoft.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Nov 2005 16:11:17 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Nov 2005 16:11:17 EST

Christian Christmann <plfriko@yahoo.de> wrote:
# for my master's thesis I'm looking for the definition of basic blocks that
# are used in the compiler back end.
#
# What I actually want to know, is, if call instructions are treated like
# any other instruction or if they cause the end of a basic block.

Each instruction in a basic block is a state transformer. A call
can transform a lot more of the state than most instructions, but
the overall effect is the same. Basic blocks are minimal single
entry/single exit regions.

# I've encountered both versions. Some people use call instructions amid
# a basic block, other use them at the end of a basic block and continue
# with the subsequent instructions in a new block.

That might have to do with multiple return calls, or perhaps
throw/catch returns.

# Are both version correct?

Whatever works is correct.

--
SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
Haven't you ever heard the customer is always right?