RE: assembly optimizer tool

"Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@hcltech.com>
19 Oct 2005 02:38:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
assembly optimizer tool jatin.bhateja@amdocs.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2005-10-14)
RE: assembly optimizer tool naveens@hcltech.com (Naveen Sharma, Noida) (2005-10-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@hcltech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Oct 2005 02:38:15 -0400

Hi,

The effectiveness of traditional optimizations on assembly code is
non-satisfactory w.r.t effort that will go into doing something useful.
I am not sure if you gain anything significant.

Good Instruction scheduling needs good alias analysis (thats a real
problem working with low level intermediate code as assembly). At
assembly level, hard registers will restrict instruction movement
severely as they introduce dependencies. Another issue you have to take
care is span dependent instructions. Plus all ideo-syncracies that a
hardware might have.

> Actually I was thinking that as there are lots of compilers which
> does not produces the optimized assembly code. If at all there
> exists some tool

I think you need to figure out the cause why compiler couldn't emit
good code before assuming a optimizing assembler or a post-object
optimizer will be able to do the job.

Anyways, See this reference for useful tips on what can be done at
object level.

[Debray98] S. Debray, R. Muth, and M.Weippert, Alias Analysis of
Executable Code, In The 25th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles
of ProgrammingLanguages, Orlando, Florida (1998)

Best Regards,
Naveen Sharma.