assembly optimizer tool

"Jatin Bhateja" <jatin.bhateja@amdocs.com>
14 Oct 2005 17:18:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
assembly optimizer tool jatin.bhateja@amdocs.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2005-10-14)
Re: assembly optimizer tool ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (2005-10-19)
RE: assembly optimizer tool naveens@hcltech.com (Naveen Sharma, Noida) (2005-10-19)
Re: assembly optimizer tool nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah) (2005-10-19)
Re: assembly optimizer tool shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2005-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jatin Bhateja" <jatin.bhateja@amdocs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Oct 2005 17:18:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Oct 2005 17:18:25 EDT

Hi All

I wanted to know that are there any tools available which can perform
optimizations on the compiler generated assembly code.

Actually I was thinking that as there are lots of compilers which does
not produces the optimized assembly code. If at all there exists some
tool

like that then it will be able to do following.

- first of all it will be architecture specific

- Secondly strength reduction or instruction scheduling will be
only two things which could be done by that toll.

Is my understanding of above two points correct?

Another thing is that what are the other optimizations that one can
perform on the assembly code?

Thanks and Best Regards

Jatin Bhateja
[The Unix C compiler had an assembler optimizer in 1973, and it wasn't
a new idea then. Instruction scheduling wasn't useful on a PDP-11.
It did strength reduction and a bunch of other peephole stuff like
removing dead code, rearranging loops to save instructions, and some
other odds and ends I don't remember. These days I suspect a peephole
optimizer as part of the code generator would be more effective. -John]