Re: Bash Shell Script and a C Program...How to Port Both to Windows?

Lex Spoon <lex@cc.gatech.edu>
29 May 2003 03:32:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bash Shell Script and a C Program...How to Port Both to Windows? leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com (2003-05-15)
Re: Bash Shell Script and a C Program...How to Port Both to Window lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2003-05-23)
Re: Bash Shell Script and a C Program...How to Port Both to Windows? snicol@apk.net (Scott Nicol) (2003-05-24)
Re: Bash Shell Script and a C Program...How to Port Both to Windows? lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2003-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lex Spoon <lex@cc.gatech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 May 2003 03:32:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 May 2003 03:32:34 EDT

"Scott Nicol" <snicol@apk.net> writes:

> "Lex Spoon" <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote in message
>> You can probably ship just bash.exe from Cygwin. Bash.exe is a
>> perfect interpreter for your language, so seems best to try and find a
>> way to use it.
>
> Shell scripts, except for the most trivial examples, call external
> programs. There's likely a whole bunch of stuff you need (ls, grep,
> awk, sed, head, ...).
>
> If the script isn't too tricky and if you feel brave, you may be able
> to convert the shell script to a DOS batch file. See
> http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch for a large list of
> online batch file programming pages. Batch files we a dying breed
> before advanced languages like Java came along and made them necessary
> again. I can't recommend any one page in particular - I think I'm
> like most programmers that get done what is necessary in .bat files
> and then leaves well enough alone.

Ah yes, you do need all the other programs. Nevertheless, "all" the
other programs is still likely to be a short list, perhaps 20 or so.
Each of these is likely a single executable, and you might have to do
something about the standard C library. It should be nothing like
trying to get gcc installed with its zillions of files.

DOS batch files always struck me as disappointingly weak, though I
can't remember the specific reasons why. They are okay for running a
command or two, but they are much worse than Unix shell scripts once
you start doing subroutines and loops and such. If one were to
rewrite a Unix script to run on DOS, I would think it easier to use
almost any language, even C.

Lex