Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull)

marcus@tuells.org (marcus hall)
16 Feb 2002 01:13:57 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XML Parsers (Push and Pull) isterin@hotmail.com (2002-01-18)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) william.rayer@virgin.net (Bill Rayer) (2002-01-24)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com (R. L. Watkins) (2002-01-24)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) isterin@hotmail.com (2002-01-28)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) alexc@world.std.com (2002-01-28)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) rkrayhawk@aol.com (2002-02-06)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) marcus@tuells.org (2002-02-16)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) rkrayhawk@aol.com (2002-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: marcus@tuells.org (marcus hall)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:13:57 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:13:57 EST
Originator: marcus@tuells.org (marcus hall)

isterin <isterin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>There are two main ways to parse XML, push which is event driven, and
>pull which is in memory. All material and documentation that I've
>read states that these are the two major ways of parsing XML, never
>does it state that these are the only ways.
>
>I guess my question is what are some of the other ways of parsing XML
>if any? Are there other parser implementations, even if they haven't
>been developed yet, and are only a concept.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ilya

I believe that it isn't so much of a way of parsing, as a way of
communicating between the parser and the application using the data
from the XML file.

In the "pull" case, the parser reads up all of the data from the XML
file and saves it. The application then asks for particular data as
it needs it.

In the "push" case, the parser reads the XML file and passes data to
the application as it is parsed. It is then up to the application to
save the data that it needs as the file is being read in.

This is not the same kind of question as bottom-up v.s. top-down
parsing, but how you view the communication between the parser and the
application.

marcus hall