Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull)

"R. L. Watkins" <RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com>
24 Jan 2002 15:03:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XML Parsers (Push and Pull) isterin@hotmail.com (2002-01-18)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) william.rayer@virgin.net (Bill Rayer) (2002-01-24)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com (R. L. Watkins) (2002-01-24)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) isterin@hotmail.com (2002-01-28)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) alexc@world.std.com (2002-01-28)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) rkrayhawk@aol.com (2002-02-06)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) marcus@tuells.org (2002-02-16)
Re: XML Parsers (Push and Pull) rkrayhawk@aol.com (2002-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "R. L. Watkins" <RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2002 15:03:47 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2002 15:03:47 EST

I'll admit it: This has me confused.

As I understand it, "push" requires a lexer to be fed input one character at
a time, which raises an event when it has a complete token. This event
calls a method of the parser (usually LR(1)?) which feeds it the token.

OTOH, "pull" has a parser calling a lexer, which itself reads source
characters from a buffer already in memory.

I've had to do both at one time or another, but they seem only to be
slightly different implementations of identical methodology. What am I
missing?

(Note that I am not an academic nor involved in the formal study of compiler
theory. I simply have to know bits and pieces in order to complete
projects, and find it very interesting.)

R. L. Watkins