"Near Miss" error handling?

gwyn@thislove.dyndns.org (Gwyn Judd)
27 Mar 2001 23:26:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"Near Miss" error handling? gwyn@thislove.dyndns.org (2001-03-27)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? jbeniston@siroyan.com (Jon Beniston) (2001-03-28)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? eballen1@qwest.net (Bruce Ediger) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (2001-03-31)
Sv: "Near Miss" error handling? sskaflot@online.no (srs srs) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? samiam@cisco.com (Scott Moore) (2001-03-31)

From: gwyn@thislove.dyndns.org (Gwyn Judd)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:26:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:26:11 EST

I'm writing (modifying actually) a compiler for my final undergraduate
project and I've come across a feature I've never seen in a production
compiler. basically when the compiler comes across an identifier it
hasn't seen before, it will go through the list of known identifiers
and try to determine which is the closest so it can then make a
hopefully helpful suggestion on how to correct the error. I didn't
write the routine so I can't say exactly how it works but the person
that did says it was based on a routine for digital signal processing
(or something). I was wondering if anyone knew of anything similar?
--
Gwyn Judd
[It sounds familiar; there have certainly been a lot of text search systems