Re: "Near Miss" error handling?

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
31 Mar 2001 02:35:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"Near Miss" error handling? gwyn@thislove.dyndns.org (2001-03-27)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? jbeniston@siroyan.com (Jon Beniston) (2001-03-28)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? eballen1@qwest.net (Bruce Ediger) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? samiam@cisco.com (Scott Moore) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? ian.trudel@tr.cgocable.ca (Ian Trudel) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-04-04)

From: Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Mar 2001 02:35:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Mar 2001 02:35:24 EST

"Gwyn" == Gwyn Judd <gwyn@thislove.dyndns.org> writes:

Gwyn> [...] basically when the compiler comes across an identifier it
Gwyn> hasn't seen before, it will go through the list of known
Gwyn> identifiers and try to determine which is the closest so it can
Gwyn> then make a hopefully helpful suggestion on how to correct the
Gwyn> error. [...] I was wondering if anyone knew of anything similar?

The INTERLISP DWIM (``Do What I Mean'') facility did something similar to this.
I don't know what became of the local INTERLISP manuals, though, so I can't be
more specific about how DWIM actually worked. (I'm not quite old enough to
have actually *used* INTERLISP, unfortunately!)

You might also look at how spelling correction is implemented by modern
interactive command shells such as `tcsh' and `zsh'.

There is quite a lot of literature about ``intelligent user interfaces'' and
automated program analysis for the purpose of diagnosing programming errors.
Dive in!

Eric.

PS --- The following article, although somewhat old, might also be of interest
to you. It describes the results of incorporating spelling correction into a
batch programming system.

@article{Morgan,
author = "Howard L. Morgan",
title = "Spelling Correction in Systems Programs",
journal = CACM,
year = "1970",
month = Feb,
volume = "13",