Re: language design references wanted

wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (uli)
Fri, 30 Aug 1991 12:19:23 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-21)
Re: language design references wanted acha@CS.CMU.EDU (1991-08-22)
Re: language design references wanted tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted murphy@mips.com (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted preston@helena.rice.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-03)
Re: language design references wanted ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-09-04)
Re: language design references wanted henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1991-09-05)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (uli)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1991 12:19:23 +0100

I would even go a step further and RECOMMEND designing languages.

Unfortunately I've only vague "references" (perhaps others can help):

I remember an article in ACMs "Computing Surveys" several years ago on
little languages for AI. Also I remember an article in a (Cambridge
University Press?) proceedings of a computer science topic, arguing that
Leibniz' work on the infinitesimal calculus was superior to Newton's
mainly because of better notation! Maybe "van Gasteren, On the Shape of
Mathematical Arguments" (Springer, LNCS 445) could be thought-provoking
too.

I don't know whether it's in the cited paper of C.A.R.Hoare (Hints on...),
but he coined a "2-20-200"-rule: 2 pages should suffice for the syntax
definition of a language, 20 pages for the semantics, and 200 pages for a
(complete and good) book on programming in that language! Or was it
Wirth? However, Hoare's and Wirth's work are _in general_ and ALWAYS
worth reading!

uli