Re: language design references wanted

murphy@mips.com (Mike Murphy)
29 Aug 91 17:56:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-21)
Re: language design references wanted acha@CS.CMU.EDU (1991-08-22)
Re: language design references wanted tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted murphy@mips.com (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted preston@helena.rice.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-03)
Language design David.Chase@Eng.Sun.COM (1991-09-04)
Re: language design references wanted ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-09-04)
Re: language design references wanted henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1991-09-05)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: murphy@mips.com (Mike Murphy)
Date: 29 Aug 91 17:56:40 GMT

In article 91-08-138 grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (Johannes Grosen) writes:
>Thanks very much to all who responded to my request for references on the
>"black art" of language design. ...

I'm surprised that no one mentioned

Programming Language Landscape: Syntax, Semantics & Implementation
by Michael Marcotty and Henry Ledgard
2nd ed., Science Research Associates, 1986.

This book is all about language design, and even includes a 20 page
bibliography. It basically talks about how you can design different
language features, with examples from various languages. It is biased
toward the common imperative languages, but it mentions (from the table of
contents): Pascal, Ada, Algol 68, Smalltalk, C, Fortran, PL/I, Cobol, APL,
Lisp, Val, Concurrent Pascal, Modula-2.

Also, in response to some other poster who recommended against designing a
new language: although I would agree that the chances are that any
language you develop would never be used, I still think it is a fun and
educational exercise to develop a new language. So as long as you are
doing it for fun and not for money, I say go for it. I started to develop
a new language a couple years ago, and found it to be a rather interesting
and beneficial experience; unfortunately I've since become busy with other
stuff and have never finalized the language, but maybe someday....

--mike