Re: language design references wanted (Johannes Grosen)
Mon, 26 Aug 1991 21:35:26 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
language design references wanted (1991-08-21)
Re: language design references wanted acha@CS.CMU.EDU (1991-08-22)
Re: language design references wanted (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted (1991-09-03)
Re: language design references wanted (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-09-04)
Re: language design references wanted (1991-09-05)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Johannes Grosen)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 21:35:26 CDT

Thanks very much to all who responded to my request for references on the
"black art" of language design. As promised, I am posting a summary of the

*From Anurag.Acharya@DRAVIDO.SOAR.CS.CMU.EDU:
"The Theory and Practice of Compiler Writing" by Tremblay and Sorenson

*From data! Dickey):
David Schmidt, _Denotational Semantics: A Methodology for Language
Development_, Allyn and Bacon, 1986.

Tennent, _Principles of Programming Languages_, Prentice Hall, 1981.

Bauer/Wossner, _Algorithmic Language and Program Development_,
Springer Verlag, 1981.

J. A. Rees and W. Clinger, eds., "Revised^3 Report on the Algorithmic
Language Scheme", ACM Sigplan Notices v21, #12. December 1986.

*From Pardo) and gary@Think.COM(Gary Sabot):
"Principles of Progarmming Languages; Design, Evaluation, and
Implementation", by MacLellan, 2nd Ed., (c)1987.

*From gary@Think.COM(Gary Sabot):
    author = "Gary W. Sabot",
    title = "The Paralation Model: Architecture-Independent Parallel Programming",
    publisher = "The MIT Press",
    year = "1988",
    address = "Cambridge, Massachusetts"}

    author = "Guy E. Blelloch",
    title = "Vector Models for Data-Parallel Computing",
    publisher = "The MIT Press",
    year = "1990",
    address = "Cambridge, Massachusetts"}

author = "Kohlbecker, Jr., Eugene E.",
title = "Syntactic Extensions in the Programming Language Lisp",
school = "Indiana University",
year = "1986",
month = "August",
address = "Bloomington, Indiana 47405",
note = "TR No. 199"}
%Discusses nature of macros, lisp, presents improved macro system for Lisp

author = "Guy E. Blelloch and Gary W. Sabot",
title = "Compiling Collection-Oriented Languages Onto Massively Parallel
journal = "Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing",
year = 1990,
volume = "8",
number = "2",
pages = "119--134",
month = "February"}
%Also available from Thinking Machines as tech report PL-89-1

author = "Alan J. Perlis and Spencer Rugaber",
title = "Programming with Idioms in {APL}",
journal = "APL Quote Quad",
year = 1979,
volume = 9,
number = 4,
pages = "232--235",
month = "June"}

author = "John C. Reynolds",
title = "Syntactic Control of Interference",
booktitle = "Conference Record of the Fifth Annual ACM Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages",
year = 1978,
pages = "39--46"}
%Disusss the design of languages in which possible interference
%(i.e. side effects) between code bodies is manifest in the syntax.

*From citrin@soglio.Colorado.EDU(Wayne Citrin):
"Programming Language Concepts" (2nd Edition), by Ghezzi and Jazayeri

prefaces of both the Definition of Standard ML and Commentary of Standard ML
(Milner, Tofte, Harper, MIT Press).

Tony Hoare's "Hints of Programming Language Design" and Niklaus Wirth's "On
the Design of Programming Languages" (both in Horowitz's "Programming
Languages, a Grand Tour", Computer Science Press).

That's what I've received so far. If any more significant responses come
along I'll post them as well. Again, many thanks to all who took the time to

Johannes Grosen (