Does gcc/egcs support source-browser data generation?

Alan Donovan <adonovan@imerge.co.uk>
4 Oct 1999 12:18:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Does gcc/egcs support source-browser data generation? adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alan Donovan <adonovan@imerge.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,gnu.gcc
Date: 4 Oct 1999 12:18:45 -0400

I have been using Emacs' etags for a while, and I find it not to be as
sophisticated as Micro$oft's Source Browser. This is not surprising
given that SB is integrated into the compiler and etags is not,
therefore SB can resolve such things as conditional compilation, and
it gets the difference between declarations and definitions right
every time.

I was just about to write a new source browser that actually does a
complete parse of the code, when, partly put off by the complexity of
C++ grammar and partly in the realisation that there was a fair amount
of wheel- reinvention involved, it struck me that modifying gcc to do
the job would be an awful lot faster (and cleaner).

Before I begin, I want to make sure that no-one else has done it
already. A brief look at the source suggests it is not part of the
standard release, but I would like to know if anyone has seen or heard
of an ad-hoc patch to the compiler to do this.

cheers,

alan
    Alan Donovan adonovan@imerge.co.uk http://www.imerge.co.uk
    Imerge Ltd. +44 1223 875265