Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ?

Darren Forcier <dforcier@allaire.com>
23 Mar 1999 12:34:58 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? oribu@yahoo.com (1999-03-05)
Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-03-06)
Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? markus_kohler@hp.com (Markus Kohler) (1999-03-09)
Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? r.m.muench@ieee.org (1999-03-09)
Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? epo@ficsgrp.com (Eddy Poullet) (1999-03-22)
Re: Visual Parse 3.0: is it OK for me ? dforcier@allaire.com (Darren Forcier) (1999-03-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darren Forcier <dforcier@allaire.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Mar 1999 12:34:58 -0500

Oribu,

I just recently started playing with the Visual Parse++ 3.0 eval to
create an SQL parser in Delphi. It took me a while to get it working,
but so far it appears to be pretty good. Up until now I have mostly
played with a Turbo Pascal-generating variation of Lex and Yacc that
were decent but lacked up to date Delphi code generation support.

The main thing I like about Visual Parse++ is that it comes with
sample scripts for a lot of the major stuff I am interested in like
SQL and HTML grammars. The things I don't like about it are it's very
sparse documentation (a single, one line sentance for each bullet item
in the tutorial and reference) and some of the weird antics of the
IDE. (although being able to step through a parse visually is pretty
cool).

One other thing I really like is how the Lex and Yacc specifications
are combined into one (albeit proprietary but Lex/Yacc-like enough)
specifications language so you can generate from a single file instead
of generating the Lexer and Yacc modules separately and then having to
manually glue them together into a working module.

Regards,
Darren Forcier
Allaire Corporation