Re: Java, and so?...

"Derek Ross" <derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk>
4 Mar 1999 12:09:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java, and so?... Denis.Bredelet@ensisun.imag.fr (Denis Bredelet) (1999-03-02)
Re: Java, and so?... derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk (Derek Ross) (1999-03-04)
Re: Java, and so?... dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-03-04)
Re: Java, and so?... mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at (Markus Mottl) (1999-03-04)
Re: Java, and so?... haynes@utmc.utc.com (Greg Haynes) (1999-03-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Derek Ross" <derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:09:56 -0500

Denis Bredelet wrote in message 99-03-006...
>Do you think it's fair that Java is the only competitor in its
>category? It *does* have many advantages, and I'm wondering why I
>don't have a choice when I need a Write Once-Run Anywhere,
>cross-platform, industry-elected (...) high-level language that
>doesn't make me amazed by its strangety.

Java isn't the only competitor in this category. Eiffel will run on
any platform, including the JVM. Eiffel code is far more readable
than Java or C++, it implements the object philosophy more fully than
either of them, and the main compilers for it produce good object
code. It's my choice for cross-platform implementation.

Cheers

Derek