Re: alternatives to java byte-codes

David Gay <dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
3 Feb 1999 23:52:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
alternatives to java byte-codes jafrutos@eui.upm.es (Juan Alberto de Frutos Velasco) (1999-01-27)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes olivier.lefevre@wdr.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1999-01-31)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes niall@cuc.ucc.ie (Niall Dalton) (1999-02-01)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (David Gay) (1999-02-03)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes jerpat@iastate.edu (1999-02-05)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1999-02-07)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes Paulo@PlanetSmart.com (Paulo Machado) (1999-02-10)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes jcea@argo.es (Jesus Cea Avion) (1999-02-10)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes niall@cuc.ucc.ie (Niall Dalton) (1999-02-12)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1999-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Gay <dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 1999 23:52:19 -0500

Niall Dalton <niall@cuc.ucc.ie> quotes a description of "Juice":
> Juice's distribution format, on the other hand, is far more complex. It
> is based on a tree-shaped program representation as is typically used
> transiently within optimizing compilers. Rather than containing a linear
> code-sequence that can be interpreted byte-by-byte, a Juice-encoded
> applet contains a compressed tree that describes the actions of the
> original program. The tree preserves the control-flow structure of the
> original
> program, which makes it much easier to perform code optimization while
> the tree is translated into the native instruction set of the target
> machine.

Hmm, I thought most optimising compilers went for variations on
3-address code and a control-flow graph. How many compilers use an
abstract syntax tree for optimisation ? My gut feeling is that trees
make some transfor- mations harder, especially if the tree is close to
the language's source code. I would argue that java bytecodes are
closer to what optimising compilers use ;-)

Compiling from Java bytecodes has its problems (e.g. the jsrs), but
these aren't really related to the basic decision to use bytecodes.
--
David Gay - Yet Another Starving Grad Student
dgay@cs.berkeley.edu