Re: alternatives to java byte-codes

Niall Dalton <niall@cuc.ucc.ie>
1 Feb 1999 23:36:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
alternatives to java byte-codes jafrutos@eui.upm.es (Juan Alberto de Frutos Velasco) (1999-01-27)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes olivier.lefevre@wdr.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1999-01-31)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes niall@cuc.ucc.ie (Niall Dalton) (1999-02-01)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (David Gay) (1999-02-03)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes jerpat@iastate.edu (1999-02-05)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1999-02-07)
Re: alternatives to Java byte-codes Paulo@PlanetSmart.com (Paulo Machado) (1999-02-10)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes jcea@argo.es (Jesus Cea Avion) (1999-02-10)
Re: alternatives to java byte-codes niall@cuc.ucc.ie (Niall Dalton) (1999-02-12)

From: Niall Dalton <niall@cuc.ucc.ie>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Feb 1999 23:36:18 -0500

Juan Alberto de Frutos Velasco wrote:

> I'm looking for works about alternatives for java byte-codes used by
> java.
>
> More precisely, I'd like to study the advantages of using structures
> like AST (abstract syntax tree).

I'd suggest starting with the work of Michael Franz and Thomas Kistler.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/ is Franz's homepage, and there you'll
find links to his work on semantic dictionary encoding of asts using a
lzw type algorithm, and subsequent run time code generation from them.

He originally applied these ideas to a Oberon system (he did his Phd
under Wirth).
Check out the slim binary link off his homepage.

With Kistler, Franz is working on a language called Juice that uses this
approach as well.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice/intro.html

To quote:

Juice's distribution format, on the other hand, is far more complex. It
is based on a tree-shaped program representation as is typically used
transiently within optimizing compilers. Rather than containing a linear
code-sequence that can be interpreted byte-by-byte, a Juice-encoded
applet contains a compressed tree that describes the actions of the
original program. The tree preserves the control-flow structure of the
original
program, which makes it much easier to perform code optimization while
the tree is translated into the native instruction set of the target
machine.

Regards,
Niall