Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser

mikee@cetasoft.cog (Mike Enright)
19 Jan 1999 00:55:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser escargo@mirage.skypoint.com (1999-01-06)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-01-11)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser Immanuel.Litzroth@pandora.be (Immanuel Litzroth) (1999-01-11)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser mikee@cetasoft.cog (1999-01-15)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser hunk@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (1999-01-15)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser lio-daa@online.no (Harald Fjerdingstad) (1999-01-17)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser mikee@cetasoft.cog (1999-01-19)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser ndc@alum.mit.edu (N. D. Culver) (1999-01-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mikee@cetasoft.cog (Mike Enright)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 1999 00:55:03 -0500

On 17 Jan 1999 20:50:27 -0500, "Harald Fjerdingstad"
<lio-daa@online.no> wrote:

>> I think if the report language was mostly declarative, a reversable or
>> redundant representation might not be necessary.
>
>What about those who really want to write code?

Support concise code.

If you are going to go to the trouble to make a visual editor the way
I described, you have to go out of your way to make the language work
for the coders. Allow the coders to use symbolic constants for fonts,
page positions, colors. The graphical editor might have to expand such
a symbol (e.g. replace "RowFont" with "Font(Arial 10/12)", but it
would be imperative that the graphical editor leave alone as much text
as possible. If the declarative language had the right structure for
it (a tree for example) then attributes could be inherited, and again
the graphical editor would maintain this as much as possible.
[This has wandered away from compilers. -John]