Re: Speedy compilers

rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
19 Dec 1998 11:23:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Speedy compilers Rudi.Ziegaus@bingo.baynet.de (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers jeff-news@jeff-jackson.com (Jeff Jackson) (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers albaugh@agames.com (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers terryg@uswest.net (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers genew@vip.net (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers zalman@netcom.com (1998-12-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Dec 1998 11:23:42 -0500

Rudi.Ziegaus@bingo.baynet.de (Rudi Ziegaus) writes:

>[ re how much people care about compile speed vs. runtime speed ]
>
>There is a golden rule to code optimization, that I like to cite :
>"Never use it". [snip]...

Sorry, but your golden rule is not an option that you have.

Just generating in-line code is an optimization; we used to generate
subroutine calls.

And generating subroutine calls, when we did that, was an
optimization; we used to generate pseudo code to drive an interpreter
(and for some languages we still do for things like format lists).

And doing our own assembly was an optimization; we used to cascade to a
separate assembler product.

And dead code elimination, and common-expressions, and ...

For HLLs you are stuck with optimizations, lots of them. There are
only a few optimizations where their resource requirements are such
that you have control over their use.

Dick W
[I think the message here is that compilers that work are preferable to
compilers that don't. -John]