HELP: Approaches to writing programs which write sentences in a grammar

paul@miraclefish.com
1 Nov 1998 11:37:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HELP: Approaches to writing programs which write sentences in a gramma paul@miraclefish.com (1998-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: paul@miraclefish.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 1998 11:37:56 -0500

Suppose I have some objects which represent an entity-relationship
model and a grammar for describing ER models. How do I turn my OO
representation of the ER model into a sentence describing the model in
my ER grammar?

The way I think of this is as the reverse of a parser. As there are
standard approaches to writing parsers like lex and yacc I was
wondering if there are similar approaches to writing programs which
can generate sentences conforming to a grammar.

Paul
[In private mail he clarified that he'd like to do code generation from
a grammar. Sounds hard. -John]