Re: Are there any pure grammar examples available?

Bob Collins <collins@cs.wm.edu>
21 Jul 1998 11:07:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Are there any pure grammar examples available? russellf@selectst.com (Russ Freeman) (1998-07-20)
Re: Are there any pure grammar examples available? collins@cs.wm.edu (Bob Collins) (1998-07-21)
Re: Are there any pure grammar examples available? eodell@pobox.com (1998-07-21)
Re: Are there any pure grammar examples available? jamz@my-dejanews.com (1998-07-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Bob Collins <collins@cs.wm.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jul 1998 11:07:24 -0400

"Russ Freeman" <russellf@selectst.com> wrote:

> Has anyone come across such a thing as a pure language grammar? What I
> mean by pure is a language grammar that has not been "re-jigged" to
> make parsing easier (e.g. LL(1)).

The Ada grammars found in the Ada83 and Ada95 language
reference manuals relate pretty closely to the language
definition, and so are "pure" in that sense. Furthermore,
they are extended with { ... } for zero-or-more. Neither
grammar is close to being LL. The 83 grammar was not LALR
either. I am not sure about the 95 grammar. Check the
Home of the Brave Ada Programmer for more details.
      <http://www.adahome.com/>

--
Bob Collins <mailto:collins@cs.wm.edu> <http://ratbert.cs.wm.edu>