Re: looking for information about profiling of OO languages

samr@cogs.susx.ac.uk (Samantha Type)
12 Feb 1998 13:33:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for information about profiling of OO languages Francois-Xavier.Josset@irisa.fr (Francois-Xavier Josset) (1998-02-10)
Re: looking for information about profiling of OO languages samr@cogs.susx.ac.uk (1998-02-12)
Re: looking for information about profiling of OO languages a-coday@cs.uiuc.edu (Aaron Coday) (1998-02-12)
Re: looking for information about profiling of OO languages jdean@puma.pa.dec.com (1998-02-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: samr@cogs.susx.ac.uk (Samantha Type)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Feb 1998 13:33:11 -0500

Francois-Xavier Josset (Francois-Xavier.Josset@irisa.fr) wrote:
: I am looking for informations concerning profiling of object-oriented
: languages (in particular, Java), namely:

Here is a small list to get you started. A couple of the papers look
as if they don't cover profiling (from the title) but on reading they
examine the subject you're interested in to some extent. You should
be able to find most of these online, with the appropriate search
paramters:

David Grove, Jeffrey Dean, Charles Garrett and Craig Chambers,
"Profile-Guided Receiver ClassPrediction", OOPSLA'95, October 1995.

Ole Agesen and Urs Holzle, "Type Feedback vs. Concrete Type Inference:
A Comparison ofOptimization Techniques for Object-Oriented Languages",
OOPSLA 95 - 10/95, 1995.

Gerald Aigner and Urs Holzle, "Eliminating Virtual Function Calls in
C++ Programs",Technical Report TRCS 95-22, Department of Computer
Science, UCSB, December 1995.

Jeffry Dean, David Grove and Craig Chambers, "Optimization of
Object-Oriented Programs Using Static Class Hierarchy Analysis",
ECOOP95, August 1995.

Urs Holzle and David Ungar, "Optimizing Dynamically-Dispatched Calls
with Run-Time Type Feedback", Sigplan 94-6/94, 1994 ACM.

: I will post a summary of references and pointers I receive.
: Thanks.

I'd find any further references you come across interesting.

: Francois-Xavier Josset

: [Does it need to be any different from profiling non-OOP languages, other
: than maybe prettying up the report? -John]

As far as C++ (and other hybrid OOLs) are concerned, a major overhead
is the use of virtual functions (dynamic dispatch). Profiling is of
particular use in this area because information about probable targets
can be gathered and this information used to direct the optimisation
of the code at the call-site.

Hope this helps.

Sam.