Re: Translation between high level languages

mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (Zvi Lamm)
14 Dec 1997 22:38:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translation between high level languages Mikal.Ziane@lip6.fr (Mikal Ziane) (1997-11-29)
Re: Translation between high level languages hbaker@netcom.com (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages dweller@universe.digex.net (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages lampe@math.tu-dresden.de (J.Lampe) (1997-12-02)
Re: Translation between high level languages mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (1997-12-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (Zvi Lamm)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.theory
Date: 14 Dec 1997 22:38:44 -0500

Our moderator wrote:
>>[The issues in translating to a high level language aren't all that different
>>from translating to assembler, except that people care a lot more about the
>>appearance and structure of the output code...

Henry Spencer (henry@zoo.toronto.edu) wrote:
:>Full and proper translation, with maintainable output, is a very hard
:>problem; I'm told that existing tools aimed at doing this typically
:>are interactive and rely heavily on human assistance.

Maybe the place to look for information about translating to readable
HLL, is YEAR-2000 transformation tools. Some of these attempt to
translate from old, unsupported assmebler to high-level langauge code.

If I remember correctly SAPIENS (an Israeli company) has some tools
for this (something called falcon, if I remember correclty). I also
recall a company called SML - from the UK. I also heard of a tool
called Fermat, but don't have any clues about who makes it.

Hope you find this strange idea useful.

Ehud

Ehud Lamm mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il