Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers?

crmorgan@sdtad.zko.dec.com (Bob Morgan)
23 Sep 1997 23:39:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? vetter@cc.gatech.edu (Jeffrey Vetter) (1997-08-28)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? news@chaos.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be (1997-08-30)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? danwang@dynamic.CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Wang) (1997-08-30)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? wilken@garlic.ece.ucdavis.edu (1997-09-03)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? crmorgan@sdtad.zko.dec.com (1997-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: crmorgan@sdtad.zko.dec.com (Bob Morgan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Sep 1997 23:39:15 -0400

Jeffrey Vetter <vetter@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>Can you tell me a nice textbook that describes heuristic methods for
>compiler optimization? ...

Books on a particular topic seem to come out at similar times. I am
just finishing a book called: Building an Optimizing Compiler to be
published by Digital Press. It is scheduled for printing on November
20. The book covers local optimizations, partial redundancy
elimination, static single assignment optimization techniques,
instruction scheduling, and an organization of register allocation
that people might find interesting: it combines both the graph
coloring ideas now current with work on bin-packing based register
allocation. It will be somewhere in the $30-$40 price range I think.

Anyone that wants more information can contact me.

Bob Morgan