implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers?

Jeffrey Vetter <vetter@cc.gatech.edu>
28 Aug 1997 00:32:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? vetter@cc.gatech.edu (Jeffrey Vetter) (1997-08-28)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? news@chaos.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be (1997-08-30)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? danwang@dynamic.CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Wang) (1997-08-30)
RE: implementation of optimization phase? Books? jhummel@crispix.ics.uci.edu (Joe Hummel) (1997-08-30)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? wilken@garlic.ece.ucdavis.edu (1997-09-03)
Re: implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? crmorgan@sdtad.zko.dec.com (1997-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeffrey Vetter <vetter@cc.gatech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Aug 1997 00:32:54 -0400

Hi,

Can you tell me a nice textbook that describes heuristic methods for
compiler optimization? I'm actually trying to build an optimizer for
arbitrarily-sized input syntax trees. I have several cost functions that
relate latency, perturbation, consistency, and frequency. I'm especially
interested in how to represent these costs in the intermediate
representation of the compiler while evaluating the alternative scenarios.
I think I understand the high level stuff, but a lower level description
of which data structs to use as well as how to develop and evaluate
different cost functions would really help.

Can you point me to any existing work? Thanks.

-jsv
[I'm not aware of any up to date optimization texts. It's all journal
articles and conference papers. -John]