Re: Python as an intermediate lang for compiler/interpreter development ?

Louis Krupp <lkrupp@netONE.com>
20 Jun 1997 21:40:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Python as an intermediate lang for compiler/interpreter development ? gilliam@im.lcs.mit.edu (1997-06-10)
Re: Python as an intermediate lang for compiler/interpreter developmen mcc@watson.ibm.com (Mark C. Chu-Carroll) (1997-06-13)
Re: Python as an intermediate lang for compiler/interpreter developmen lkrupp@netONE.com (Louis Krupp) (1997-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Louis Krupp <lkrupp@netONE.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jun 1997 21:40:38 -0400

Harris Gilliam wrote:
> A while back I asked this question... got no replies or followup
> posts. If this is some sort of "sin" in the Python community please
> tell me :-) Anyway... I was interested in seeing if Python would make
> a good intermediate language for developing an interpreter/compiler
> for a language that closely resembles C and C++. If anyone has done
> this or something similar I'd be interested in your experiences.
> Thanks.

Something vaguely similar:

I wanted to translate a subset of Microsoft Visual Test (the parts
that correspond more or less to BASIC) to C++. I used yacc to parse a
Visual Test program and generate a Perl script which, when executed,
generates a C++ program. The yacc part is relatively simple; Perl
handles symbol tables and so on. It's slow, but it works. And it was
fun to do.

I've redirected this away from comp.lang.python and towards
comp.lang.perl.misc, because I used Perl (5.003) and not Python.

However, just for the record, I don't know much about Python, and I
have no argument with anyone who assert that Python would have worked
just as well.

Louis Krupp
lkrupp@netONE.com