Re: gawk memory leak

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins)
8 Apr 1997 09:33:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak max@gac.edu (Max Hailperin) (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak hbaker@netcom.com (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak cyber_surfer@wildcard.demon.co.uk (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak clark@quarry.zk3.dec.com (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (1997-04-08)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-11)
Re: gawk memory leak marssaxman@sprynet.com.antispam (1997-04-11)
Re: gawk memory leak chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (1997-04-11)
Re: gawk memory leak pfoxSPAMOFF@lehman.com (Paul David Fox) (1997-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Apr 1997 09:33:49 -0400

Robert A Duff <bobduff@world.std.com> wrote:
>"...automatic garbage collection a la Java"? As if Java invented gc?

Not at all. The GC in Java is real easy to use: ptr = nil and boom you
don't have to worry about it anymore. I did not mean to imply that GC
in a language means that I no longer have to think about what I'm
doing.

>By the way, I'd be interested in hearing exactly what is patented,
>re: purify.

Purify works by instrumenting object code; they insert new code into
pre-compiled code. This allows them to instrument code from any
compiler, and code that the customer may not have source code for (oh,
like the C library on any commercial Unix system these days). I don't
know the details, but they have a patent on the object code insertion
technique.

I liked the statements that manual memory management requires the
global reasoning, which is a lot harder. This is exactly the kind of
situation I have in gawk. The bug was worse in that the leak was *per
record*. Ouch!

In any case, it's fixed now, and will be available shortly.
--
Arnold Robbins -- guest account at Emory Math/CS
Email: arnold@gnu.ai.mit.edu