Re: MS-COFF Object Files

Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
12 Nov 1996 22:02:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MS-COFF Object Files gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com (1996-11-10)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files htak@eskimo.com (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files shankar@chromatic.com (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files alt-x@erinet.com (1996-11-14)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files albaugh@agames.com (1996-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Nov 1996 22:02:03 -0500

| Is there any code shareware etc, that abstracts object file format ?
|
| I want to port/recode a codegen I have for 16bit 286 to 32bit 486+
| CPU's. ...
| [There's a GNU object library, but I don't recall having seen an MS
| backend for it. -John]

Version 2.7 of the gnu BFD library (in the binutils-2.7 package) adds
support for i386 and PowerPC Windows32 object file formats (both the
object format, which is mostly COFF, and the PE format for
executables). I don't know if it supports the 16bit relocations.
Another possibility is to emit assembly code (if you have an assembler
that spits out the appropriate object file). The GNU compiler does
this, and I've personally ported the compiler to different object
formats that took the same syntax by redirecting the assembler.

Bear in mind that the GNU binutils package is covered by the Gnu
Public License, which means that if you incorporate the code into
another product and release that product, the other parts of the
product must be available under the GPL.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA