Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source

Christopher Glaeser <cdg@nullstone.com>
16 Aug 1996 23:48:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source mevans1027@aol.com (1996-07-23)
Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source giuliano@ix.netcom.com (Giuliano Carlini) (1996-07-24)
Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1996-08-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christopher Glaeser <cdg@nullstone.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Aug 1996 23:48:31 -0400

MEvans1027 wrote:

> Does anyone know of a program that reads lines of Motorola 68K ASM
> source code and converts them to lines of Intel X86 ASM source code? There
> is a need for this by users of Motorola systems that want to switch an
> application over to an Intel PC.

I recently developed a translator which may be similar enough in scope
to provide ideas. I used the GNU compiler and replaced the front-end
with a lexer/parser that translated ACK assembly to SPARC assembly by
parsing each ACK instruction and converting it to GNU RTL.

ACK registers (actually, ACK is stack-based, but supports objects that
look like registers such as display registers) were mapped to GNU's
pseudo registers. It was left to the GNU register allocator to decided
which of these ACK registers were allocated to SPARC registers. Since
the ACK registers were never addressed and the life-times were generally
short, the GNU register allocator performed very well.

Without -O the translation was acceptable; with -O the run-time
performance was excellent.

Best regards,
Christopher Glaeser cdg@nullstone.com
Nullstone Coporation http://www.nullstone.com