Info on suitable grammars for common languages

euahjn@eua.ericsson.se (Henrik Johansson)
13 May 1996 14:33:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Info on suitable grammars for common languages euahjn@eua.ericsson.se (1996-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: euahjn@eua.ericsson.se (Henrik Johansson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 May 1996 14:33:13 -0400

I would like to gather information about existing suitable grammars
for common languages. I don't need pointers to the actual
parsers, just information in this style:

Language: Technique: Parser generator:
C++ LL(1)+nondeterministic stuff ANTLR (1996)
Ada,PL/I LR(1) LR (Wetherell, Shannon 1981)
Erlang LALR(1) (except for `match_expr') any LALR(1)

These examples are correct as far as I know. I would also be happy for
information in the style like:

C++ with templates and exceptions: No useful LALR(1) grammar exists. (?)

I am really just interested in the relation between language, grammar and
parsing technique, not the actual parsers.