Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++

sastdr@unx.sas.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Wed, 17 Aug 1994 19:54:54 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ sivar@SanDiego.NCR.COM (SSR) (1994-08-01)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ wws@renaissance.cray.com (1994-08-04)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com (1994-08-06)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1994-08-10)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ sastdr@unx.sas.com (1994-08-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sastdr@unx.sas.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 19:54:54 GMT

[re translating from Cobol to C++]

wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector) writes:
>Of all the things you have mentioned, isn't the above mentioned lack
>of a decimal data type the most problematic? Decimal data types are
>are fundamental and important in most COBOL applications. I have a
>hard time seeing how this could be done efficiently in C/C++.
>
>What languages, other than COBOL and PL/1, support decimal data types?

  It is my understanding that the IBM C/370 offering on MVS has added
some sort of decimal type, loosely based on PL/1.

  However, I agree - with John - use a fixed point variable (or an
array of them) with proper scaling. Certainly, this could readily
be included in some C++ decimal class.

- Dave Rivers -
(sastdr@unx.sas.com)