Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++

wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector)
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 21:17:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ sivar@SanDiego.NCR.COM (SSR) (1994-08-01)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ wws@renaissance.cray.com (1994-08-04)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com (1994-08-06)
Re: Decimal arithmetic in Ada bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com (1994-08-09)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1994-08-10)
Re: Summary of responses - Conversion to C++ sastdr@unx.sas.com (1994-08-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 21:17:03 GMT

SSR <sivar@SanDiego.NCR.COM> writes:
> 3. Many respondents pointed out that even with a converter and assuming
> straight conversion, there may be many aspects of COBOL which might
> create problems like
> b) requirement of additional C++ libraries to support decimal (money)
> classes and picture clause editing that will be rampant in a
> commercial application.

Of all the things you have mentioned, isn't the above mentioned lack
of a decimal data type the most problematic? Decimal data types are
are fundamental and important in most COBOL applications. I have a
hard time seeing how this could be done efficiently in C/C++.

What languages, other than COBOL and PL/1, support decimal data types?

Walt
----
Walt Spector
(wws@renaissance.cray.com)
Sunnyvale, California
[Cobol doesn't require decimal arithmetic, although it makes the
implementation easier. Careful use of fixed point with scaling should
be adequate. -John]