Re: MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc...

kbreinho@Novell.COM (Keith L. Breinholt)
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 22:37:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc... treynold@husc3.harvard.edu (1994-08-06)
Re: MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc... patrick_d_logan@ccm.jf.intel.com (1994-08-08)
Re: MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc... kbreinho@Novell.COM (1994-08-08)
Re: MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc... pjj@cs.man.ac.uk (1994-08-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kbreinho@Novell.COM (Keith L. Breinholt)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 22:37:45 GMT

In article 94-08-062 treynold@husc3.harvard.edu writes:

>Has anyone had trouble with the MS DOS port of Berkeley Yacc?
>It does not seem to work properly with the examples
>in O'Reilly's book "Lex and Yacc". It might be Flex though, I'm not
>sure, but I haven't heard of any problems with the MS DOS versions.
>Thanks
>[Berkeley yacc has a bunch of 32 bit specific code that is a pain
>to fix. I've never gotten around to doing it. I'd suggest using DJGPP
>to avoid the issue. DOS-izing the resultant scanner should be a lot
>easier. Flex, on the other hand, is fine on DOS, other than making

I have noticed that some of the examples are just plain wrong, regardless of
the version of lex or yacc. For instance their example of how order will
change the output of your parse. Regardless of the suggested order the output
remains the same, and the output is not what the book says it is.

It's almost like someone threw some fast examples together and didn't bother
to check them for accuracy.

Keith L. Breinholt
kbreinho@novell.com
[There were a bunch of problems like that in the first edition, but I
thought I fixed them (modulo some typos) in the second. -John]