Re: C++ and parser generators

helz@ecn.purdue.edu (Randall A Helzerman)
Sun, 6 Feb 1994 07:59:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ and parser generators janpeter@mpi.kun.nl (Jan Peter de Ruiter) (1994-02-04)
Re: C++ and parser generators helz@ecn.purdue.edu (1994-02-06)
C++ and parser generators BBURSHTE@us.oracle.com (BBURSHTE.US.ORACLE.COM) (1994-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: helz@ecn.purdue.edu (Randall A Helzerman)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 07:59:25 GMT

Jan Peter de Ruiter <janpeter@mpi.kun.nl> writes:

|> The advice (for people wanting to build compilers in C++) is to have a
|> look at the PCCTS system.

I second this advice: Our research group uses the ouput of PCCTS in
countless ways in C++ programs, and Ter Parr (who wrote a big chunk of
PCCTS) provided phenominally quick modifications whenever we ran into a
glitch. He didn't stop until it was _right_.

BTW the archive for PCCTS has changed; its new location is at
marvin.ecn.purdue.edu (128.46.179.151) in the directory /pub/pccts. Try
it, you'll like it.

|> The question is this: To me it seems to be the case that C++ would be a
|> very convenient language to build a parser generator in. ...

Ter and I have talked quite a bit about this. His ultimate goal is to
write a parser generator in an object oriented language. The current
problem with C++ is that there exists no compiler for it which doesn't
have prohibitive bugs in it. He has tried repeatedly for several years
now, but now appears to be quite disgusted with C++. He is investigating
writing his own bug-free OO language in which to do further developement
in.