Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques?

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 13:20:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? harding@ug.eds.com (1993-07-26)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (1993-07-29)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? firth@sei.cmu.edu (1993-07-30)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? hobbs@gemmax.enet.dec.com (1993-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1993 13:20:25 GMT

tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins) writes:
>One of the optimisation that only appears to be used by the Bliss-11
>compiler is to determine whether code should be placed before or after the
>loop out which it was being moved. They, Wulf et al, described these as
>alpha- and beta- code motion; as to which one was which I don't remember

Alpha motion: moving code from within the loop to before the loop
(actually, applies to other control structures such as alternations)

Omega motion: moving code from within the structure to after the structure

Rho motion: "rotating" the loop, ie moving code from late in one
iteration to early in the next, or vice versa.

A great book, by the way.