sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques?

harding@ug.eds.com (Jim Harding)
Mon, 26 Jul 1993 09:43:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? harding@ug.eds.com (1993-07-26)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (1993-07-29)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? firth@sei.cmu.edu (1993-07-30)
Re: sparc object hackery and Bliss techniques? hobbs@gemmax.enet.dec.com (1993-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: harding@ug.eds.com (Jim Harding)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1993 09:43:57 GMT

In regards to dsitinguishing code from data within an object file you can
do something similar to what I had done with some disassemblers which was
to locate all reachable instructions. Starting from all known code labels
in the symbol table, decode instructions until you reach an unconditional
jump or return instruction while noting all branches to labels. Finding
jump tables for implementing switch statements may be a little bit
difficult but it can be done. All branch labels and jump table entries
will start new code paths to search.

Now I have a question. I have the book 'The Design of an Optimizing
Compiler' by Wulf et. al. and have found the ideas in it to be quite
interesting even though it is rather old by CS standards (1975). Is there
any information anywhere on the Bliss language which it describes or on
any languages which use similar compiler techniques? I know I may be out
of touch asking about such a language.

James Harding
HARDING@UG.EDS.COM
[Incidentally, we're still working on reissuing the book by Wulf et al.
though it's taking longer than I would have expected. Around the end of
the year, I hope. -John]